Monday, March 3, 2014

Towering Cheeseburger Oven Warmed Kettle Chips and Roasted Garlic Dip


Some cooks have the gift of creating beautiful and delicate creations as with the touch of an oil painter. Not to mention the sophisticated nuances of flavors and textures. The Voltaggio brothers from Top Chef come to mind. They are artists of food, for sure. I, on the other hand, can make a mean burger. (This is not to mean that I am comparing myself in ANY way to the Voltaggio brothers, or any other chef for that matter).

This is a quarter pound cheeseburger which was seared in a hot cast iron skillet until a cripsy crust was formed which sealed in the juiciness. While the burger was still in the skillet, I topped it with baby swiss cheese until it melted down over the sides.  The accompaniments are of the traditional burger type including crunchy iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced red onion, dill pickle chips, mayo, ketchup and mustard. 

For the roasted garlic dip, I cut 1 small head of garlic in half and placed it in a ramekin with olive oil salt and pepper.  I covered it tightly with aluminum foil and baked it for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. After the roasted head of garlic came out of the oven, I let it cool for a minute or two and then mashed all of the cloves in a mixing bowl.  The mashed roasted head of garlic I added about 2 tablespoons of sour cream, 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise, a small handful of chopped fresh parsley and salt and pepper.  Very simple, but served with kettle chips warmed in the oven for about 10 minutes, simply sublime!

No comments:

Post a Comment