Friday, February 28, 2014

Taco Salad with Amys Chunky Salsa


I am not one who desires a gadget for every single individual task to be done in the kitchen.  I definitely prefer a more old school multitasking approach when it comes to the functionality of culinary tools.  However, that doesnt mean that I dont appreciate a nifty device when it comes along.  A girl can certainly take some help when she can get it! So, knowing my obsession with all things taco, I could not wait to dine on my first home made taco salad with the help of my new tortilla bowl mold. Though the multi-functional use may not be evident just yet, it definitely served a desired purpose.  Actually, now that I think about it, I absolutely see a gigantic taco salad shell shaped cupcake in my future.

To form the tortilla bowls I brushed a corn tortilla lightly with canola oil and pressed it in the mold.  After preheating the oven to 400 degrees, I baked the shell for about 10 minutes until it became golden brown and crunchy.  After unmolding onto a plate I filled it with shredded iceberg lettuce, seasoned taco meat, colby/monterey jack cheese, Amys chunky salsa, sour cream and some hot sauce.  Scrumptious!  Oh, just so you know, its the chunky salsa that MAKES it!!!         

Amys Chunky Salsa
1 avocado, diced
1 mango, diced
1/2 red onion, finely diced
1 small can black olives, drained
1 tomato, diced
pickled jalapeno slices, to taste
juice 1/2 lime
salt
handful of fresh cilantro, chopped

Combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir to combine.  Great topping for taco salad, tacos, enchiladas or just by the spoonful!

No comments:

Post a Comment