Thursday, January 30, 2014

Will this Great Broccoli Salad Become Your New Favorite Summer Side Dish Probably Not

I never make cold broccoli salad, so when I decided to film a recipe for one, I didnt have a ton of previous experience to draw from.

I remember having a great one next to a piece of grilled salmon in Monterey years ago, but all I remembered was it was very cold, very lemony, and kind of spicy.

The only other cold broccoli salad taste memory I have is from the annual post-Passport, Sunday night dinner that Bill Frick hosts for the family after the event. Bill makes a super simple, but perfectly delicious version that really shines next to a platter of grilled chicken.

Using both these salads as inspiration, I proceeded with the blanching and the whisking, and what was produced far exceeded my expectations. This is a great tasting, very refreshing, and believe it or not, interesting salad.

Will this become your favorite summer sid
e dish? I doubt it. Its really very good, but how can you complete with such iconic picnic table fixtures as potato and macaroni salad? Lets face it, its still broccoli after all.

Nevertheless, you can never have enough vegetable side dish recipe ideas, so I hope you give this tasty, easy-to-make salad a try. Enjoy!




Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds broccoli
3 cloves garlic, mashed
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/3 cup olive oil
red pepper flakes to taste
salt and pepper to taste

No comments:

Post a Comment