Sunday, January 12, 2014

Dyngus Day Dinner


Dyngus Day, a Polish holiday celebrated the day after Easter, is hugely celebrated here in South Bend, IN.  I am not Polish, but I am of German descent, so Id like to think I know a thing or two about cooking sauerkraut.  From what I have observed at various Dyngus Day celebrations throughout town, a Polish buffet consisting of sausage, sauerkraut, cabbage, apples, and potatoes are traditionally served.  I created my own last night, while incorporating leftover Easter baked beans.

You can actually get "Dyngus" sausages in the supermarket around Easter and Dyngus day.  I am not certain how Dyngus sausages differ from any other type of Polish sausage, but speculate that perhaps the difference is with the spices.  I place several sausages in a skillet filled with about 1 1/2 of water and heated it until it simmered.  Once the water simmered away, I browned the sausage on all sides and added 1 sliced apple and 1 sliced sweet onion.  After stirring to combine and giving the flavor a chance to mingle, I added 1 beer and a can of sauerkraut.  I let the whole thing simmer for about 20 minutes and served it with mustard (and Easter baked beans and a left over dinner roll).  

No comments:

Post a Comment