Monday, December 23, 2013

Salsa Verde Chicken Tacos with Chunky Chipotle Salsa


My apologies for the poor quality of the photo and the messy plate but, oops!, I almost forgot to take my nightly photo.  Just as I was about to dive into numero dos, I remembered and had to scramble to tidy my plate a bit and try to eeek out an acceptable image.  Thats how good they were! I was so raptured by their deliciousness that everything else melted from my mind.

To prepare the salsa verde I cleaned and halved about 6 fresh tomatillos and placed them in a food processor.  To the tomatillos I added 2 cloves of garlic, 1 fresh serrano chili, 1/2 onion, a bunch of fresh cilantro, the juice of a lime and plenty of salt and pepper.  I pureed the mixture in the food processor and pour it in a preheated skillet with about 2 tablespoons of canola oil.  The salsa verde simmered for about 15-20 minutes until it turned a deep green color and thickened to the perfect consistency. 

I took some help from the store and shredded the breast meat from a Sams rotisserie chicken and placed it in the salsa verde.  Stir to combine well, taste to check for seasonings and let simmer very slow for about 15 minutes just until the flavors combine. 

Spoon the chicken filling into freshly warmed corn tortillas and top with sliced avocado, shredded cheese and a good spoonful of chunky chipotle salsa.  If you would like the recipe for the chunky chipotle salsa (which might be the best salsa ever!) please refer back to my dinner entry dated April 7.  That is one tasty taco!

No comments:

Post a Comment